As the COVID pandemic continues to create financial hardships, ComEd is reminding customers about a variety of programs to assist with their energy bills. For low-income households and those with financial hardships, the company has already extended its moratorium on service disconnections through March 31. Through an agreement with the Illinois Commerce Commission, over $18 million is also available in bill assistance programs.
One-time bill assistance of up to $500 for past due balances
- Residential customers
- Limited-income households earning up to 200 percent of the federal poverty level
- Runs through December 31, 2020 or until program funds are exhausted
- More information available at comed.com/MyAccount/CustomerSupport/Pages/BillAssistanceForm.aspx
CHAMP is a financial-assistance program for activated and deployed members of the U.S. Armed Forces, National Guard, Reserves and honorably discharged veterans. Available benefits include bill payment assistance up to $1,000, deferred payment plans, and more.
- Deployed members of the U.S. Armed Forces, National Guard or Reserves
- Veterans who were honorably discharged
- Reside within ComEd’s northern Illinois service territory and demonstrate a hardship
- More information available at comed.com/MyAccount/CustomerSupport/Pages/CHAMP.aspx
LIHEAP assists eligible, low-income households with heating, gas, propane and electricity. LIHEAP enrollment extends through June 2021. For information on eligibility, see HelpIllinoisFamilies.com
Offers grants up to $500 based on need and availability of program funds.
- Residential customers
- Limited-income households earning up to 250% of the federal poverty level ($65,500 for a family of four)
- Financial hardship due to job loss, illness, military deployment, disability, or as a senior citizen
- Can apply once every two years
- More information available at comed.com/residentialhardship
Extended Payment Arrangements
- Residential customers – an extended period of up to 18 months with no more than 25% required as a down payment
- Down payment waived for Limited-income residential customers and those experiencing financial hardship
- Business customers – 3-month payment arrangement with a 33% down payment or a 6-month payment arrangement with a 50% down payment
More information available at comed.com/MyAccount/MyBillUsage/Pages/PaymentArrangements.aspx